Clean, Quiet, and Enjoyable, electric drives provide an ideal environment on-board your boat allowing enjoyment of the environment and talking with your sail-mates.
Electroprop – Electric Drives Customized For Your Boat:
- Controller for high efficiency
- Display for easy viewing
- Wiring Harnesses for easy connection
- Motor Mount to fit your boat
- Gear Ratio – choose from 10 gear ratios to match your propeller
Electroprop Electric Drives:
Electric Drive Packages
Compare costs of complete Electric Drive Packages, which include energy/power systems:
- Battery Banks
- Solar Arrays
- DC Generators (Serial Hybrid)
Electric Boats are User-Friendly and Enjoyable:
Video is 3:41 in length.
ELECTRIC PROPULSION for boats has been around for over 100 years. Electric Boats were developed after steam engines and before internal combustion engines. In the late 1890′s there were more electric boats than diesel or gasoline boats, with Shorepower Charging Stations existing up and down the Thames River. Built in 1898, the Mary Gordon was 52 feet long, carried 75 passengers, cruised at 8 knots, and had a range of 48 miles.
Diesel and gasoline quickly replaced electric boats due to longer ranges from higher density fuel. Shortly after the introduction of the internal combustion engine came the hybrid which has been in service in submarines ever since.
NEW TECHNOLOGY has enabled electric boats to start competing against internal combustion engines. The majority of small sailboats can now be easily re-powered with electric motors without inconveniencing owners. All daysailors fall into this class. Hunter is offering an electric 27 foot sloop. Optional gasoline and diesel engines can provide the power to get home if needed.
TODAY’S ELECTRIC DRIVES offer sailors unprecedented range, power, durability, and ease of operation. Our drives are built to ABYC standards for Electric Propulsion, they’re efficient, and maintenance free. Electroprop Electric Drives are the result of 5 years of research and development, the final results of which can be viewed at the Electric Boat Design Website. Electric Drives are 100 years old and better than ever.
Better for you, your boat, your environment, and the ocean.
Overview of Electric Drive System:
Video is 3:11 in length.
Electroprop Electric Drive Benefits:
The Electroprop system is the only small gear-driven electric drive on the market for sailboats from 25 feet to 40 feet in length. The system is the most powerful, durable, and least maintenance system of any marine electric drive. In designing our system, every component was selected for its quality, reliability, efficiency, and power:
- Double Stator PMAC motor
- Two stators cancel out the axial forces on the rotor for higher efficiency.
- Aluminum rotor is the only moving part.
- Controller is the best in the industry; Sevcon Gen4 controllers are reliable and very efficient.
- Displaygives important operating data at a glance. We programmed the display specifically for the marine application.
- Battery Voltage and Current display on the main page in LARGE type. This allows the display to be mounted inside or in a protected area, and able to be read at a distance.
- Motor RPM, Temperature, Torque, and Current display in smaller type.
- Fault Management is viewable on additional pages on the display. If a wire becomes loose on the contactor, the display will tell you. There is no need to count blinking lights and reference a manual.
- The display also allows for programming of maximum speed in forward and reverse, as well as acceleration rates.
- Sevcon’s Clearview Display is one of the most important components on the system because it gives all of the information on the system.
- Flexible Coupling:
- Alignment indicator to get alignment very close.
- The tiny bit of leftover misalignment (there always is some micro amount) is taken care of by the flexible nature of the coupling.
- Protects the thrust bearing from premature wear.
- Gearbox with Helical Gears:
- Helical Gears are the most efficient gears available at 97 percent efficiency.
- The thrust bearing is inside the gearbox and is lubricated by the gearbox oil.
- No need to inspect or change belts, or grease the thrust bearing.
- Drop Pan Mount is custom made for your boat, just like the Original Equipment Manufacturer does.
- Wiring Harnessincludes:
- Electronic Throttle
- Battery switch
- Fuse Block and Fuses
- Audible Alarm
- Power switch
- Relay to turn on external fans or a water pump when motor temperature rises
- CAN bus for connecting a computer for programming.
- Remote programming is possible for changing motors from our offices in Santa Barbara, CA.
We provide the most information, the best technical support in the industry, and a 2 Year Warranty. We put more into our electric boat drives than any other company and it shows.
A full line of accessory equipment including articulating solar arrays and generators is available.
Additional research and development is ongoing for larger drives, solar mounting options, and DC generation. We bring the latest, high-quality components to the marine world for your enjoyment now and for many years into the future.
President and Chief Technology Officer
Recommendation and Quote for Your Electric Boat Drive:
Send an Electric Drive Worksheet to receive a Recommendation or Quote from our ABYC Qualified Electricians.
Or, simply contact us with questions about electric boat drives. You’ll soon be enjoying your new Electric Boat.
There are 2 types of Diesel Electric Hybrid Systems, the Serial Hybrid and the Parallel Hybrid.
The Serial Hybrid
The Serial Hybrid consists of an electric motor driving the propeller from batteries that are recharged by a DC generator. The advantages of serial hybrid systems are:
- Components are optimized
- Electric motor is perfectly suited to the propeller with the correct gear ratio
- Generator is perfectly suited to charging the battery bank
- Simplicity of the system allows for easy maintenance
The automotive equivalent of this system is the Chevy Volt.
Our preference for sailboats is the Serial Hybrid, because both electric motors and diesel generators are very reliable, and the Serial Hybrid Design is more in line with how a sailboat is used. Additionally, the small size of the propulsion motor allows for flexibility in the design of the interior layout of the boat, and the diesel generator can be installed outside of the living spaces of the boat in an aft lazarette. The diesel generator in a serial hybrid design can be either smaller than the electric motor (for boats that use solar as their primary source of power and require the diesel as a backup), or larger than the electric motor (for boats that have heavy house loads and big batteries and wish to minimize diesel engine run time).
In the coming months, we’ll be introducing the first affordably priced serial hybrid to complement our existing line of Polar Power based Serial Hybrid Combinations. Stay tuned or email us for more information on this exciting new development.
The Parallel Hybrid
The Parallel Hybrid consists of a diesel motor and an electric motor, each capable of driving the propeller individually or at the same time. The advantage of this system is the redundancy of having two different motors capable of driving the same propeller.
The automotive equivalent of this system is the Toyota Prius.
Both Beta Marine and Steyr Motors make Parallel Hybrid Marine Engines. Typically, the diesel engine is more powerful than the electric motor.
The Parallel Hybrid is perfect for powerboats who want a high powered diesel motor yet wish to have the flexibility of electric motor sailing and/or electric harbor maneuvering. The Parallel Hybrid is better for motor yachts that require high power from the diesel engine for normal running conditions.read more